Material for Step and Repeat Backdrops
What are the different kinds of material used for step and repeats?
Sometimes it can be confusing about what material to use for the logo backdrop.
When should you choose vinyl banner, fabric, rigid wall, etc? Well, it all depends on a few things – the purpose of your event, the location, the photography, etc.
Below is an outline of some of the basic types of materials used for step and repeats:
Still not sure what material to get? Call us and tell us about your event and we’ll help you (818) 434-7591 or contact us here.
Vinyl Banner Material
- Matte Vinyl
- Prints up to 16′ wide seamless
- Most economical
- Block out
- Photographs very well with light-colored backdrops
- Cleans well – wipe away dirt
- Shows vibrant colors
- Outdoor durable & tear resistant
- Smooth surface for maximum print performance
- Ships rolled up on a tube
- You need to have the correct lighting or an experienced photographer to avoid camera glare.
- Can only be rolled up on a tube (cannot ever be folded).
- Not all vinyls are created equal – there is “glossy”, “matte”, different weights and other factors. We use a matte, premium, vinyl material perfect for step and repeats.
Soft Heavy Knit
- Non-glare Fabric (great for filming purposes and general photography)
- Wrinkle & Crease Resistant
- Ships folded
- More professional
- Solid-color backgrounds are not as vibrant as vinyl.
- Only prints up to 10′ wide
- Washing or dry cleaning not recommended
- Great for black solid backgrounds (not as rich black but it will photograph without glare)
- Non-glare Fabric
- Best for Back Lighting
- Prints up to 16′ wide
- The poplin texture has a slight stretch, making it ideal for expanding over frame systems and structure applications.
- Perfect for trade show graphics due to its crease and wrinkle free characteristics.
- Great for large landscapes
- Vibrant print quality
- Flame Resistant
- Ships rolled up on a tube
- Should not be folded (can be folded loosely temporarily while transporting)
- Best if stored rolled up on tube
- 15 oz. matte finish
- Strong, indoor/outdoor use
- Biodegradable banner/billboard material
- In landfill conditions (darkness, high heat, moisture and lack of oxygen), it attracts microbes that break down the PVC material within 3 to 5 years
- This material contains no toxic materials and is tear, fade and fungus resistant
- Cannot be folded, must be rolled up on tube provided
- Artistic Quality
- Excellent Flexibility for Stretching Without Cracking
- Offers crisp detail and a rich tonal range.
- Ideal for fine art reproduction as well as various art decor applications
- Ships rolled up on 8 ft tube
Fabric Stretch Material
- Stretch Fabric
- For use with Fabric Stretch Display frame only
- Single-sided or double-sided printing
- Pull the pillowcase-like graphic over the frame and zip it shut.
- The zipper, hidden from view, tightens the stretch fabric beautifully displaying your image.
- Wrinkles can be removed with cool iron or fabric steamer.
- Most stains can be treated with household fabric stain removers.
- Your fabric graphic can be machine washed. Remove any hardware attached to the fabric prior to cleaning. Use MILD soap and cool water. Air dry fabric, dry on frame if frame is available. Fabric must be COMPLETELY dry prior to storing. DO NOT DRY CLEAN.
- Fabric Care Sheet available to protect your graphic print.
- Non-glare Soft Heavy Knit or Knitted Polyester (referenced above) stretched over rigid wall
- For large, grand events
- Highest level of professionalism
- Quality that celebrities and VIPs expect
- No wrinkles
- Very solid – will hold up to weather/outdoor.
- Most stunning red carpet backdrop – makes an impact
- Media wall can be any length for a long, red-carpet runway.
- Local set-up only
- Not a “quick, pop-up wall” – this involves professional installation by the Step and Repeat LA install team
- Not portable
- Allow space for this large installation
- One event use only (the backdrop itself can be saved for future use if requested although for media walls, it’s best to toss them and order a new backdrop for the next event.)
Step and Repeat LA offers seamless media walls for grand, upscale events. This is not the standard banner material that is zip-tied to a stand, this is a beautiful wall of logos that you usually see on TV for celebrity and VIP events. These media walls can be created at ANY SIZE to accommodate your needs and wants. One single, large print is stretched onto a frame so that there are no wrinkles or creases. No stand shows from the front and the sides can be finished off for a sleek, polished look. When you request a quote, it will include logo layout, printing, fabrication, delivery, installation and take-down. Our team will take care of the entire red carpet set-up from start to finish.